"Inverclydes premier cycling club"
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Davie Bell Support RR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:47 pm 

I did the above RR this morning, can't remember such an eventfull race !
We were warned before about the rough sections of road and they proved to be rough, I had a pump , tyre levers and a spare tube taped on under my seat.
Over the first rough section the tyre levers jettisoned, wasn't bothered about them but I thought my wee Micro pump would be next so I pulled and hauled at that until I got it free and stuffed it in my pocket.
About 1 mile later my spare tube fell out and wrapped itself around my rear wheel, I had to stop and pull it free, meanwhile the pack are disappearing into the distance, never mind I thought I'll maybe catch them, I set off again trying to stuff the tube up the front of my jersey, but before I could it wrapped itself around my front wheel, more tangled than the back. So , stopped again , off the bike and ripped it free and flung it in a hedge. By this time I was thinking my race was well and truly over. I worked hard to try and get back on but I was getting pretty goosed and was realising that it was a lost cause. Then ....... a knight in shining armour appeared in the form of a transit van, the guy pulled in front of me and slowed up , never one to look a gift horse in the wheel , sorry , mouth, I jumped on his wheel and he pulled me slowly back to the bunch, a true gent, thanks :D .
I was pretty goosed now though and if we'd hit a climb at this point I was a goner, but I hung in and got a breather. managed to hang in over Tairlaw and got away with a break of 8 going up the Nic o' Balloch. If I'd remembered how hard this climb was from last year I'd not have done this race , it just goes on and on and on... anyway, nearing the top I got shelled, couldn't hang in. Was on my todd for a bit until two chasers joined me, worked together and steadied the gap from the leaders to a couple of hundred yds. Our threesome became a twosome and we continued to chase, I think we were making headway on the decent as it was wet and two of us were going quicker than the front 8. This was when my Micro pump jumped out of my pocket, a quick calc said that a possible 8th place would not reimburse me for the pump. so it was on with the anchors and back up the road for the pump, got the pump and got back on the bike just as a bunch of about 15 sped past, bugger. Got onto them and worked to the finish where I managed to take the sprint from the group.
So I think I may have just squeezed a top ten having had to stop 3 times .

Note to self, get some velcro fastener on the jersey pockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Kenny,

sure glad I didn't join you in that race, would have hated for you to have beaten me after having stopped 3 times.

PS. what happened to racing for glory ? Going back for a pump, you deserve 30 lashes with an innertube for that.

Cheers John

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]