"Inverclydes premier cycling club"
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CYCLING ETIQUETTE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:10 pm 

Hi Guys Great times on Tuesday night were recorded so well done everyone . As Club Chairman i would like to remind members of some Cycling Etiquette .

(A) Draughting is not permitted (timetrial)
(B) A word of encouragement is always apprieciated when passed by fellow riders.

Keep up the good work everyone , "UP THE VELO"

Dapper Dan :D ...........el presidenty

Post subject: Re: CYCLING ETIQUETTE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:19 pm 

I would just like to remind you that its not a real race and should only be considered training for open events. Also it is not actually club event so your authority as "chairman" really has no bearing on the event organised and run by Alex!
But i do understand that it can be frustrating when the person doing the drafting comes through and "helps"...im sure your big enough to tell the culprit to %$£$^ off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:22 pm 

Will we be getting drug tested down there too?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:18 am 

George....sssshhhhh.

Weren't you off the back on Thurs???? (Just an observation when I was pootling round course)

Ill make sure im around somewhere for you on Thurs just incase you are needing a wheel :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:20 pm 

Hi Guys thanks for your comments a healthy debate always clears up things , Mark draughting is illegal in open timetrials so i think iam correct in saying when we practice on a tuesday it would be a benifit to those club members to practice in the correct manner . draughting is regarded as cheating in open events Mark , as Club Chairman i do think there is posistion for me to highlight this issue , the fact that it is not a club event is not the issue i am afraid , i would still raise the topic if it was in an open or confined event organised by another club .

On that subject Mark of being Alec`s race , you are correct , but when club members raise the issue about club members draughting to the chairman i would like to address this no matter whose race it is . cycling etiquette is the way foward Mark not promoting cheating .

Hi Matt , yeah i think dope testing would help .

Hi Paul , glad to hear from you thanks for your comment, just a wee reply to your post , thursday`s are APR `S so team work is the name of the game , i shouted Hi to you on thursday when you didn`t reply i thought you were not talking to us or maybe you didn`t see us but you obviously did , good to hear from you mate.

Dapper Dan :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:16 pm 

Dapper Dan wrote:

Hi Matt , yeah i think dope testing would help .

I think we are all dopes playing this game!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:05 pm 

Hi Gerry yes you are 100% correct , i would like to withdraw that remark and i hope no-one was affended , the pun was out of order and i will apoligise to Mark accordingly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 pm 

George. Etiquette: I dipped the peak of my cap 1cm on Thurs = HI!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:06 pm 

Personally i think there are more important issues for the club chairman to be addressing on "alex's course.
Number one should be personal safety, the number of times i have seen riders cutting out in front of cars at roundabouts is unbelievable, the riders obviously think that the car driver will be able to miss him if he keeps into the side or the driver can just slow down , all in a bid for a few extra seconds. Not only is this very dangerous for the rider it could also bring a lot of unwanted police attention if the driver (with good reason)decided to report the matter to the Police.

Still dont see how draughting is a club matter, when i do it tonight are you going to have me kicked out of the club? If some one from outside the club does it are we all going to boycott Alex's race night in protest? What real authority do you have except for your size 10 up the offenders butt!?

I think the main point is its not an open race, its great training night for those who ride open races and for them to judge how well they are doing and to many people take it too seriously....who cares if a nobody like me sits on your wheel for a bit and is it really worth risking our life or prosecution at roundabouts and turns all for good training? We have had riders hitting cars and its only a matter of time before it happens again(It will probably be me now i have written this)

We should be looking at ways of making the night safer for us, encouraging more marshals(who could report all the above matters to Alex for a time penalty) would be one way.
your=not you personally George but any one in general

And George is right, its about time we had a debate and a review of things. And just out of interest who was so offended they wanted you to raise the subject...was it Robert Stevenson who told me you sat on his wheel all night and only tried to pass him at the finish line? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 pm 

Sorry mark, I have to disagree. A timetrial is a race against yourself & the clock. To sit in and draught cheats no one but yourself and means a pb counts for nothing.

If it doesn't mean anything to you , fine, that's your call, but have some respect for the others riding. It us really offputing having someone puffing on your wheel when they shouldn't be there and it breaks concentration. Actions like sitting in could cost someone else who values a solo PB a new PB.

Flame away... But Tuesday should be solo... Sit in on a Thursday

My 2p

G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:42 pm 

Hi Mark what i said to you was George over took me going up the hill to lunderson bay on the way back i tried to catch up on him on the way to the finish line i caught him tried to over take him and couldnt he pulled away from me the 2 times i tried to over take him and managed to catch him and pass him just before finish line didnt sit on his wheel

i didnt mention to geoge any thing about you i was of number 2 think only time passed you was when i was on my way back from inverkip and you were alone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 pm 

I think a small can of worms has been opened, drafting in a time trial is not permitted, draft in a team time trial, not solo, someone lurking behind can upset concentration and cause slight frustration, you end up trying to push a bit beyond your comfort zone to shake the rider behind, rider behind is drafting so is using less power. if riders pass u then seem to slow down, sit out, not on thier wheel.
Flip side, if your catching a rider, make sure your not over cooking it to over take them, other wise you will have to ease slightly when you pass to recover, the rider u overtook will be right behind you (or jumping you on the line :) ) untill you get back to your normal output....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:35 pm 

I think we all get the message now as the first post stated

Draughting is not permitted in any Time Trials
and a word of encouragement is always appreciated when passed by fellow riders

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:08 am 

Robert, my comment wasn't directed at you or anyone personally as I have no idea what went on. The comments are a general statement, nothing more.

Isn't there a rule in pro tts that means that unless you are going to pass ( and actually make it stick) then tou should be no closer than 20 bike lengths ( or something like this) and offset to the side of the rider in front by a metre?

I know that when I get passed, I try and move out of the slipstream of the rider that has overtaken me.... However tempting it is to tuck in!

Anyway..... Let's move along.....